Saturday, October 30, 2010

As I look at this blog I look back on how I delivered content in my very first class here at Huntington Middle School and all I can say is WOW! I am currently in a graduate course that is entitled Learning in the Digital Age. Look my history students, I also have homework and this week I have been asked to summarize for week 1:

(October 30, 2010)
This week I looked at how students are immersed in technology in the classroom our reading discussed some key points such as: "When most people think of children in a school setting, they tend to picture them sitting at a desk with pencil and paper. However, teachers that were once dealing with daydreaming are now dealing with ipods, cellphones and the like" (Lecture 1.1 Notes Angel). I often have to rethink and re-plan my instruction to ensure that 21st Century technology is not only rich in my instruction but also rich in my students life in general. As we teach the leaders of tomorrow we must think forward and also give our students the tools to become ready for the 21st century. Moreover, The 21st century marks a shift in what society needs and expects from our students, our future leaders and citizens who will contribute to the decision-making processes of our country." (Lecture 1.1 Notes Angel).

More important was the pedagogical information to assist 21st century teachers in development in new approaches and strategies to development and promote student modalities. One quote this week that stood out in my mind was, "According to Shulman (1987), there are three main components of what it means to teach: subject matter content, teaching, and learning. This is also known as pedagogical content knowledge (PCK). Shulman describes PCK as knowledge of the most regularly taught topics in one's subjects area, the most useful forms of representation of those ideas, the most powerful analogies, illustrations, examples, explanations, and demonstrations…including an understanding of what makes the learning of specific concepts and preconceptions that students of different ages and backgrounds bring with them to the learning" (1987, p. 9)(Lecturer Notes 1.2 Angel).

Lastly it is critical that new instructors (teachers) assist students in becoming global thinkers and workers. That being the case we must, "use technology in the classroom, particularly we need only look at four primary roles that technology can play: productivity tool (allowing students to be globally prepared), communications tool (promote collaborative thinking and groupings), research tool (using the internet and other sources to look at questions), and problem-solving and decision-making tool. (Allowing students to start becoming high level thinkers and problem solvers)" (Lecturer Notes 1.3 Angel)

1 comment: